Thursday, October 08, 2009

 

Musings

Feeling inundated with information and events, at times I find it hard to decide about what to write. Maybe, it's a type of writer's block. Primarily, I've wanted to write about the Roman Polanski affair. Wisconsin law professor Ann Althouse covered this subject as well as anyone. Also, lgazissax at Alexandria wrote an insightful post relating this to the Catholic church, as did Marci Hamilton at FindLaw.

Every thought I've had on Polanski and his supporters dwells somewhere in those links. Whoopi Goldberg's Polanski didn't commit "rape-rape" comments aggravated and astounded me as much as any one's. Whoopi follows up with the wonderfully insightful, "We're a different kind of society, we see things differently ... would I want my 14-year-old having sex with somebody? Not necessarily, no." Not necessarily? Hell, no, I wouldn't want my 14 year old having sex. I wonder if I should get some "roofies" and beer and take Whoopi on a date. (Ugh.) Does Whoopi have any kids? I hope not.

Tiny Cat Pants, a liberal blog, points out feminists that don't get it. She quotes Peg Yorkin founder of the Feminist Majority Foundation,
It’s bad a person was raped. But that was so many years ago. The guy has been through so much in his life. It’s crazy to arrest him now. Let it go. The government could spend its money on other things.
Geez.

I happen to have a daughter, age 13, as of this writing. Naturally, she is tall, beautiful, witty and intelligent. Should someone do to her what Polanski did to that 13 year old girl, I'd be royally pissed. Going to jail would be the least of his problems.

As an example, Nicholas Neff, Jr., age 23, was arrested in Cincinnati for having consensual sex with a 15 year old. He had met her on the Internet and traveled from Florida to hook up with her. From radio reports, the girl's father got a hold of Neff before the police.


Notice the black eye. It would have been hard to stop at just one. Neff would be a better case for leniency than Polanski but I doubt he'll find many supporters.

There is truly a social strata that believes they are above the commoners and don't answer to the same rules. We're back in the times when the nobles weren't so noble.

Comments:
Whoopi et al just astonish me. And not in a good way. It is really frightening. What will the world be like for your 13-year-old and my 10-year-old?
 
Scary.
 
I was stunned that Goldberg said that. "Rape-rape." I can only imagine the exploding heads if some Duke lacrosse player had ever used that as his defense.

I am still stunned that there is any kind of discussion on this at all. I don't care what movies this jackass made, they should nail him to the wall.
 
I hadn't thought about it in relation to the Duke case but that's an excellent point. I'm stunned too. Some people act as if Polanski suffered to much already. The guy's a multi-millionaire jet-setter celebrity. Gimme a break!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]