Thursday, August 06, 2009

 

Who Does the AARP Work For?

This video, in which an AARP member asks, "Do you work for us or do we work for you?", reminded me of my personal experience with AARP.



I joined the AARP a few years ago when I turned 55. I figured it would be a good way to same money traveling, eating out and on insurance. (AAA is just as good on all counts.) In one of the magazines they send out, I noticed a scholarship program for women. Women 40 years and older were eligible. I found this curious as one must be 55 to be an AARP member. Isn't the AARP an organization for retired persons?

I also wondered if they had any programs for men. I emailed them asking them if so. After a second email in which I told them I would not be renewing my membership, I received a non-answer response.
Thank you for taking time to send us your question about why AARP Foundation has a scholarship program for women. As an AARP member you may already know that AARP Foundation is AARP’s charitable arm and as such it is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for all as we age. The Foundation’s work leads positive social change and deliver value to those 50 and older with emphasis on those at social and economic risk. The Foundation has more than 15 different programs providing services to improve the lives of America’s low-income people 50+. Women are 75 percent of the elderly poor and our goal with this new scholarship is to provide yet another tool for low-income people who are primarily women to secure their financial futures.

We hope you will choose to stay with us as we continue our work.
I let my membership lapse. More women attend college than men. 135 women graduate for every 100 men. There hardly seems a great need to provide scholarships just for women. But, men could use some help.
The unemployment rate for men between the ages of 20 and 24 is 10.1%, or twice the national average. There are almost as many men in jail, on probation, and on parole (5,000,000) as there are men in college (7,300,000). Men with college educations earn an average of $47,000 per year; those whose education ended at the high school diploma earn an average of $30,000.
This was written in 2005. Well before any sign of a recession.

The video above shows AARP workers being condescending to its members. The members are treated as if elementary school students in a classroom. Shut up and listen and only talk about that which I approve.

It's apparent to me that the AARP values pushing a left wing agenda more than providing services to its members. I'm glad I let my membership expire and haven't wasted any more money of this sham of an organization.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]