Monday, March 02, 2009

 

Murder in the City

Nearly every day I take a lunch time walk around downtown Cincinnati. Normally, I cover 1.5 to 2 miles. Occasionally, I pass a small, scruffy convenience store, Linda's Mini-Mart, which is only a couple of blocks from my office. Today when I walked past Linda's my only concern was protecting my face from the bitterly cold wind. It even mad the bridge of my nose hurt.

About an hour and a half after my walk, someone stabbed the owner of the store, Wade Nassar, to death. As I never went in the store I had never met Mr. Nassar but I have had thoughts of admiration for whomever was running the little store and making a living at it. I simply felt it must take hard work and dedication to establish a small business downtown and make a living at it.

Realizing that someone was senselessly and brutally killed saddens my heart. During the 10 years I've worked in downtown Cincinnati this is the second time I've been this physically close to a murder. Statistically that may not be much but it's the only two times in my life it's happened.

I just find it hard to fathom how someone can take another's life for no real reason except, maybe, to steal a few bucks or a little food.

Ironically, during my earlier walk, I felt better than usual. For the first time I gave a beggar on the street a dollar. It was about 20 degrees and windy. I was feeling happy and I figured he must really need the money to be out in weather like today's.

Hopefully, the perpetrator will be caught but that won't help Mr. Nassar. As you can see reading the comments to the linked news story, Mr. Nassar was a father and a grandfather who is already sorely missed.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]