Sunday, June 29, 2008

 

Tagged

The rules:
1. Post the rules at the beginning.
2. Answer the questions only about yourself.
3. At the end of the post, tag five people and post their names, then go to their blogs and leave them a comment so they know they’ve been tagged. Ask them to read the sender's blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

What were you doing five years ago?
Pretty much what I'm doing now, programming marketing research surveys for a living, helping out as much as possible with my kids involvement in school, sports, Scouts and other activities. I lived in a townhouse apartment instead of a house. My kids are older so the activities reflect their ages. I wasn't blogging then.

What are five things on your to-do list for today?
I rarely make a list but today my priorities were/are: Get my son off to Boy Scout camp (done); take a good bike ride (done); do some yard work (partially done); complete this post (in process); cook some fried chicken (it's cooking now).

What are five snacks you enjoy?
1. Trail mix that has only nuts and dried fruit, no chocolate.
2. Homemade smoothie with orange juice, bananas or strawberries, ice and a little sugar.
3. Ice cream/frozen yogurt, shakes and malts.
4. Fruit - especially peaches, blackberries, strawberries and bananas.
5. Popcorn.

What are five things you would do if you were a billionaire?
1. Fix up my house and sell it to a "deserving" person/family for below market value.
2. By some land in a rural area and live there. My house would be modest in size, no more than 2,500 sq. ft. I'd have a small lake for fishing and an area for hunting and camping.
3. Visit Maine and Alaska. Two places I've never been but have always wanted to visit.
4. Set up a college scholarship fund for "ordinary" people. I would focus on helping people from average circumstances but good potential get through college. Perhaps seek out the kids working at fast food joints and other part-time jobs who are making good enough grades but not great grades.
5. Leave a sufficient amount for my kids. More than Bill Gates is. I think it's rather cruel for Gates to leave his children so little after he, himself, got to enjoy so much wealth for so many years.

What are five of your bad habits?
Bad habits! What bad habits?
1. Putting off household chores.
2. Eating too much.
3. Telling too many stories about Tennessee
4. Singing songs in the car that my kids don't like
5. Not sending birthday cards on time

What are five places where you have lived?
I have to stretch this a little because I haven't really
lived in five different places.
1. Memphis, TN. I was born there, making the the first person in my family born and raised in Tennessee. I have an uncle born in Memphis but they moved away before he was a year old and never lived in Tennessee again.
2. Knoxville, TN. The reason we lived in Memphis when I was born was that my father was doing his internship there. When I was only 3-4 months old we moved back to Knoxville where my father finished his doctorate in psychology. Except for a short stint, I lived in Knoxville the surrounding county until I was 38 years old.
3. Alcoa, TN. This was the short stint. Yes, this is where Alcoa aluminum is made. We lived here for a couple of years. It is only about 15 miles from Knoxville and we moved back to Knoxville when I was 4 years old.
4. Maysville, KY. I moved here with my wife and son when I was 38. It took me about 10 years but I learned to love the area.
5. Aberdeen/Ripley, OH. This is the stretch. When I divorced I moved across the river from Maysville because real estate prices were lower. Maysville dominates the area commercially and my kids still go to school in Maysville.

What are five jobs you’ve had?
1. Survey Systems programmer. Primarily I program surveys for the Internet. And, no we don't spam people nor do any selling or political polling.
2. Graphic artist at a newspaper.
3. Sales person/consultant at a computer store.
4. Health club manager.
5. Juvenile probation officer.
I did all sorts of temporary jobs during college breaks. I consider these some of the most valuable experiences I've had. These include unloading boxcars and trucks full of bags of coffee beans and peanuts; construction work; working in a potato chip factory; working in an instant coffee plant; helping install safety deposit boxes in a bank and lots more. Mostly lots of heavy lifting was involved. It motivated me to finish college.

Five people I've tagged.
Patrick
Marbel
Darren
GM Roper who recently got some very good news.
Misguided Blonde

Comments:
Awesome, dad. I'll write more tomorrow but interesting!
 
Interesting reading, and thanks for the tag. I will try to do it today.
 
Hey, I got it done already!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]