Monday, December 17, 2007

 

Is the AARP Gender Biased?

Headline at World Peace Herald: Women's share of college enrollment highest ever. What does the AARP do? Provide scholarships for women, of course. The hell with men.

I just came across AARP's new Women's Scholarship Program. No mention of any program for men. I thought this organization was an advocate for retired persons, not just women. AARP also has a Women's Leadership Circle. I can't find any similar programs focused solely on men. Except for gender specific issues, such as prostate cancer or menopause, AARP programs should focus on both genders equally unless they change their name to Association for the AAOL.

I left an email message through AARP's contact page. Hopefully, I'll hear something. I don't think I'll be renewing my membership. I can get the motel discounts through AAA.

Comments:
.......and they lean real hard to the left.
 
stands to reason that the AARP mix is higher than 55/50, because guys die earlier, and that might push a shift in focus.

besides, If more women go to college, they need more money, right? oh, wait...
 
The organization supports many causes that I find insupportable. There are other good organizations for "seniors" out there - they don't have as much clout yet.
Besides, AARP talked my mother-in-law into purchasing insurance that covered nothing for twice the price! And talked her out of purchasing better coverage from their organization - I suspect they prefer the elderly to purchase insurance that really never pays on anything...just a thought.
And it's a shame that they don't have scholarships for boys as well. What in the world are they thinking?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]