Friday, November 16, 2007

 

Are You Offended? I'm Not.

From The Washington Times:
A Casa Furniture and Bedding store in Alexandria has been advertising easy credit with a twist: “no gringo papers” necessary.

A sign outside the store at the intersection of North Beauregard and King streets reads, “Credito sin papeles de gringo.” In English, that could be translated to say “Credit without gringo papers.”
The American Heritage Dictionary defines the word gringo as “a disparaging term for a foreigner in Latin America, especially an American or English person.”

But the word “gringo” in the store's sign is not intended to offend anyone, Miss Granados said.
The story I've always heard is that the term "gringo" the song "Green Grows the Grass" and how Mexicans interpreted "green grows." Actually, I think the sign's kind of funny. I'd probably be offended if a bunch of Hispanics were hostilely yelling "gringo" at me. But then it wouldn't be the word so much as the action.

Let's keep our sense of humor, folks.

Comments:
You, sir, are an apologist for racism. If you don't know that gringo is a slur, you're very naive.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines the word gringo as “a disparaging term for a foreigner in Latin America, especially an American or English person.”
 
Oh, I know it's a slur. It just doesn't bother me in this context. Now, if Jesse or Al called me "honky," that'd be fightin' words.
 
My reply to gringo or honky, if used as slurs against me would be "and proud of it", or, "and you're not."
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]