Saturday, October 13, 2007

 

Kentucky Wins a Big Game

The other day my son asked me a question I never thought I'd hear, "What are Kentucky and Cincinnati ranked?" And, he was talking about football!

Today Kentucky played number one ranked LSU. I gave the odds of Kentucky winning as slim and none. Slim and none won.

I'm not a big Kentucky fan, but living up in the Maysville, KY area, I root for them when they're not playing Tennessee. I think it's pretty cool they finally have a good team.

One question Kentucky's success has brought up for me is the role of Randy Sanders, the Kentucky quarterback coach. Sanders was fired a couple of years ago as offensive coordinator at Tennessee. I was probably as critical of him as anyone. At one point I sent Phil Fulmer an email stating that Tennessee would never rise above the doldrums they were in as long as Randy Sanders was offensive coordinator.

Maybe I was wrong.

Sanders was the quarterback coach for the little known Peyton Manning. Sanders also coached Tennessee's quarterbacks during their last national championship season. A season in which he moved up to offensive coordinator just before the bowl game.

Maybe Sanders doesn't what it takes to be an offensive coordinator or head coach. Maybe Sanders is just one helluva quarterback coach. Andre Woodson, quarterback for Kentucky, has truly blossomed under Sanders' tutelage. Or, maybe Sanders does have what it takes to be an offensive coordinator or head coach and Phil Fulmer's style as a head coach held Sanders back. Tennessee certainly hasn't made any great improvements since Sanders left. But, Kentucky has since Sanders arrived there.

I hope someone gives Sanders another shot at offensive coordinator or a head coaching position just to answer my question. And, Sanders deserves another chance.

Comments:
You are just going to have to post more often.

Her I am, your blog becoming habit, and you post only if and when when you damned well please.

Sheesh, dadvocate. Gimme some meat!
 
Sorry, I've been sick. I'll be back tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for caring. :-)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]