Monday, August 20, 2007

 

Can You Walk and Text At the Same Time?

For several years people have been debating the dangers of using cellphones while driving. As time goes on, I lean more and more towards restrictions on cellphone use in cars.

I've noticed that much of the time the car traveling 10 mph below the speed limit on the Interstate often has a driver talking on the phone. A couple of months ago a local girl ran over a man working on the pumps at a gas station because while talking on the cellphone, she didn't see him. Feeling the bump and being the genius that she is, she backed up to see what she had run over and ran over him again. Miraculously, he survived.

Now, we have a fellow, texting on his cellphone, struck by train WHILE WALKING!
A man sending a text message avoided being hit by a train going in one direction only to be struck by another train.

Witnesses told police the man was looking down at his cell phone as he crossed some railroad tracks around 9 a.m. at Township Road and Elmwood Avenue in Elmwood Place.

Witnesses said the man waited for a southbound train to pass, put his head down and started walking across the tracks.

The man apparently did not see or hear a northbound train as it approached, witnesses said.
Some how, he survived also.

Personally, I'm amazed that people become so engrossed in conversations and texting that they completely block out the real world. Not a good survival strategy. I'm also amazed that so many people feel the need to be constantly immersed in cellphone conversations and texting. I enjoy smiling and exchanging friendly "Hello's" with strangers or starting a conversation with someone at the gym whom I've never met.

While cellphones contribute to convenient communication, I have some serious doubts about some of its impact on people and society.

Comments:
You know I hate quoting studies, but I've read some that have found people driving while talking on cellphones are worse drivers than people who are drruuunnnk. I can believe it.

As far as texting is concerned, it is about the most distracting thing on the planet, because you are using a typing method alien to your QWERTY trained brain. I'm not surprised homeboy walked into a train while texting without every seeing it.

I hate talking on the cellphone when driving. Sometimes it is necessary, and sometimes you can't really avoid it. It helps pass the time on long interstate drives like I-16 and I-10, where you're not going to change lanes and have the cruise control on. I can't tell you how many conversations I've ended with "I'm coming up on traffic, I gotta let you go."

Luckily, talking while driving and texting while walking isn't terribly dangerous, otherwise fewer folks would do it. But there is some common sense involved. Walking through an empty field? Text away. Walking across well used railroad tracks? Pay attention. I wish more folks would put the phone down and drive.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]