Friday, June 15, 2007

 

I'm Baaack!

We returned this evening from our trip to Tennessee for my son to attend football camp. His experience at Phil Fulmer's football camp was a success and my daughter and I got to spend some time with just each other.

That means taking her to the mall and buying her an outfit. Fortunately, her taste are rather reasonable. We found a nice casual outfit at American Eagle and some accessories at Claire's. She and I generally had a great time. She's very funny. One of her greatest talents is creating descriptions that make perfect sense but use an unusual combination of words. She explained that she had to buy a larger size blouse than she expected because she has a "robust chest."

She is also a social butterfly. Tomorrow my company will be having our annual picnic. Yesterday a female account manager from my work called on my cellphone. Not to talk to me but to talk to my daughter to see if my daughter would be at the picnic. Geesh.

We also spent a lot of time with my 82 year old mother, which was nice. One night we ate dinner at a restaurant named "Little Italy" in Alcoa, TN. I highly recommend eating there. The food was good and very reasonably priced. Tables were neatly arranged with plenty of room. The decor consisted primarily of Italian themed pictures.

Eating there, I recalled restaurants from my younger days where the food was good and the decor wasn't overwhelming. Too many places nowadays inundate you with "atmosphere" by cluttering the walls and ceilings with everything from jet skis and bicycles to newspapers and old signs. A simple, clean, tasteful setting provided a nice change.

We watched my son going through instruction and drills some at football camp. He said it was the hardest he had ever worked. He did well though. Although campers went up to age 18 and my son is 14, he was one of the bigger linebackers in camp (6' 1"; 215 lbs). He also turned out to be faster than I thought. This adds up to an over-sized load coming at you real fast.

He is brimming with enthusiasm, as am I. He is one of the most talented persons I know. Musically inclined, instruments he has played include the violin and double bass. He currently plays the baritone horn in the school band. With three friends, he has a rock band in which he plays guitar, bass guitar and drums. (They rotate instruments.) He is also an honor student as well as an excellent football player.

Frankly, he amazes me. I try to stay out of the way, give him whatever encouragement and support he needs and just watch.

God couldn't have given me better kids. I am truly blessed.

Comments:
Lovely!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]