Wednesday, May 23, 2007

 

Al Gore on Larry King LIve

Watching Al Gore for more than a couple of minutes on Larry King Live last night posed too great a challenge. So I looked up the transcript today rather than go to bed sick. Gore was supposedly promoting his book "Assault on Reason." Pleas help me. I just can't get over a man who has created so much neurotic panic over global warming wrote a book supposedly lamenting the demise of reason.

Gorisms:
And so where the people used to have a greater opportunity to take part in the conversation and talk back in ways where what they said would be heard and listened to, now the act of just sitting motionless in front of the TV set and absorbing all of this stuff, particularly when the majority of it is the Britney and the K-Fed and whether or not Russell Crowe threw a telephone at the hotel concierge, that the ability and the opportunity to participate actively in the processes of self-government are disappearing.
Are we really such motionless lumps that we sit and indiscriminately absorb whatever crap that's on TV? Obviously, someone watches this baloney but TV cable news shows generally receive rather low ratings. While the TV may be on in my house in the evenings, it is a sideshow. Maybe, Al is preparing the ground work for the "Fairness" Doctrine where the government controls what we see and hear on TV and radio.

I also wonder how much "conversation" Mr. Gore wants about global warming. The other day my son came home from school saying they watched part of An Inconvenient Truth in science. I didn't go ballistic or anything. I'm quite confident that I am at least as intelligent as Mr. Gore, any of my son's teachers and sway much more influence over my children. I simply showed my son some websites and printed out some information that showed Mr. Gore's hellfire and damnation message on global warming is inaccurate and exaggerated.

Speaking of global warming:
If Greenland were to break up and slip into the sea or West Antarctica, or half of either and half of both, it would be a 20-feet increase, and that would lead to more than 450 million climate refugees.

The direct impacts on the U.S. have already begun. Today, 49 percent of America is in conditions of drought or near drought. And we have had droughts in the past, but the odds of serious droughts increase when the average temperatures go up, as they have been going up.
Greenland break up? Greenland is a land mass with ice on it. I hope Mr. Gore realizes that. I've pointed out before that Greenland used to be warmer than it is now. That's why the Vikings called it Greenland. With such a great threat to our nation from global warming, we certainly shouldn't be taking in immigrants but rather preparing for Armageddon.

Maybe some where along the line Mr. Gore will have an encounter with true logical, rational reason. But, will he recognize it?

The other thing that bugs me about Mr. Gore is that he is from my home state of Tennessee, but he sure doesn't sound like it. Hillary can fake it better than Al.

UPDATE: The Anchoress analyzes an impressive list of Al Gore, a la Joy Behar, for its lack of reason, i.e. logic and rationality.

Comments:
Dadvocate,
I too watched Al Gore. I was impressed. Perhaps I am so use to politicians that cannot put a complete sentence together, that when I see one that can I am delighted.

That said, if I have to error , I would prefer to error on the side of improving the environment. I am not a tree hugger, but analytical in nature. When I look at the stat's it doesn't look good.

I will be dead and worm food when the crap hits the fan on all this, but we need to do something. It's more then the melting polar ice caps song people sing. Its strategic ( really). The more fossil fuels we consume the more we need to go off shore for our fix of oil, more dependence.
That is how I see it. I am on the band wagon to get the oil monkey off our backs.

I do not see one other leader coming forward on this, so I will go with Al Gore. He has got to wake up every day and kick himself in the pants and say ' how could I possibly have lost to this inept president we have now?' Jheesh. Then he calls John Kerry and ask's him the same question.

If do not think we are not in a pickle with regard to the environment, Iraq, an energy policy, etc. let me know. I know your post was Al Gore specific , no doubt and you did not bring up other issues, yet this congress and administration is abysmal at best ( now that I am on a role!)

Consider their approval rating of ~ 30% ( +/-). What if we had grades in college of 30%? WE would be out pecking @*&%$~* with the chickens.

IF you ask me, and remember I am the idiot on the bus here, Al Gore has got a clue, has past experience, and can think. A novel collection of qualities for this political environment.

What doesn't he have ? A progressive congress to work with and the same ol, same ol boy network that is out there that thinks of only getting re-elected.

But I digress. ( am I done yet?)

Now what are my stats that push my thoughts to this orientation:
White male, 55 yrs young, Marketing Director, California resident, Engineering Degree, Business degree, lived in multiple states across the USA.

AM I Republican or Democrat - tell me what the difference is any more.
Both knuckle head groups comprised of sound bites and 'me first' thinking. So what am I - a independent thinker that spends time daily reading, listening, improving my knowledge base and a voting, concerned citizen.

That said, I am looking for some fresh air and I do not see any within the Republication party, a few in the Democrate party, yet the Dem's need a back bone that is stronger then a soft banana.
Giving the President 100 Billion today for Iraq with NO exit date, yet that was their platform and postion, they caved. Just as they are caving on ethics reform.

I think I am done... That was theraputic. thank you for the time to rant.
 
Thanks for your comment, regular guy.

I agree that we need to do all we can to protect and improve the environment. I wish I had the time and energy to do more but I do try to minimize my wastefulness, use as little energy as possible, pollute as little as possible, etc.

Al Gore does make some sense. He has a credibility gap in that some of his claims are too outrageous. He is too strident. He hurts his own cause due to this.

Yes, he does sound better than a lot of politicians, but I see that as damning to politicians more than a positive for Mr. Gore. Of course, why would a reasonable, highly intelligent person enter politics nowadays with the character assassination that goes on. You can make much more money doing other things.
 
DADvocate,
points well made on Gore. Like you , I limit my energy intake and carbon output ( ya gotta walk the talk). you are right he does make some sense, and perhaps there is some credibility issues ( remember he invented the internet).

That said, when I look at the community of polititions out there, he comes in as the worlds tallest midget ( I am not diss'n anyone under 4ft - just a pun).

I listen to these guys and its all sound bites, just babble. With Gore I see some one with a rudder on the boat, a sense of direction. Now is he a Kennedy, or an Ike? We will have to see. My angst is , the system is so upside-down lately even Superman in congress would end up with a brain cramp working with these people. My angst is the following:
1. They have forgotton who they work for and act as the privileged few.
2. They make decisions as if it really was their money not ours.
3. They have forgotten the principles this nation was founded on - key for me is fairness.
4. Their ethics are questionable at best. The only time there is contrition is when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar.
5. The most important of all: is this the best that we can do ? the best we can produce as a great nation? THEY are a reflection of 'us'. And 'us' is easily influenced by soap operas, Hollywood, spippets of 15 sec. news bites and flashes, Paris Hilton and 'Deal or no Deal'. Is this everyone in the USA ? nope.
We are hard working people overall, but we have gotten a bit too soft in the middle ( thank you technology).
* **We know our rights, but have forgotten about the responsibities that goes with these rights***
I think its time for an overhall - we have gone past the 100,000 mile mark and we need to look at our values, behaviors, roles, expecations as people, as citizens ...
Does our BEHAVIOR match our goals? I think not.

How many people complain yet still do not vote, do not get involved - now "getting involved" scares people away . I have my family, my hobbies, I need my rest, I need I need. We are not bad people, we just need to consider for this time and age, there are some social needs that need tending to.

It's being a mindful citizen, both at work and at home. No matter if one is the employee or the employer, the worker or the Sr. VP.

My consternation is we as a nation are great, yet we are accepting much less. As if we're a 12 cyl. engine happy with working on 2 cylinders.

Let me stop here , no need for me to proselytize. Thanks for the time.

A Regular Guy
 
as a brit who rarely votes, i say i rarely vote because there is no difference between either groups.

they dont care about you as a person, they dont care about you at all they only care about power, and money, and one will get you the other.

they dont care at all, not even about the environment, or obesity, they only care about power for themselves. they make more and more laws that benefit them.

and they use some of this law to bribe the voters into voting for them.. thats all it is.

governments have lost the human touch. they would rather see 100 innocent people in prison than let 1 guilty person free.

or they would want to see more people in dire financial straits, than make themselves less rich.
 
regular guy - good points and I agree with them all. "tallest midget" - LOL!

I think Gore has contributed much to this political crisis. His, and Clinton's, "It's the economy, stupid!" brought political debate to an adolescent level. During one of the debates with George W., Gore hovered over GWB like a schoolyard bully while GWB spoke. Hardly elements of rational debate and discussion.

I don't have any personal antipathy towards Gore. Lving in Tennessee at the time, I voted for him, and his father, during their Senate runs. But something's happened to Al and he's no longer seems a reasonable man to me. Too many little bits of oddness/weirdness keep popping up.

mercurior - it's hard not to agree with you and you may be fully correct. I vote in hopes that some day the right person will come along and to try to minimize the damage.
 
Dadvocate,
re: Gore hovered over GWB like a schoolyard bully while GWB spoke. Hardly elements of rational debate and discussion.

It's my opinion this action was his demise and positioned him as ther bully like you said. He lost a million votes with that jesture... Mine too, yet i did not vote for either of them. Ihave not been a Gore advocate till recently. IN fact in a heated debate I could NOT hold my own and would get pummeled on "Al issues" - Yet when I look at the marbles that are available in the bag, he looks the best so far and he is not running as of late. But plenty of time.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]