Tuesday, March 06, 2007

 

Edwards Invokes Jesus

John Edwards says Jesus would be appalled.
Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards says Jesus would be appalled at how the United States has ignored the plight of the suffering, and that he believes children should have private time to pray at school.

Edwards, in an interview with the Web site Beliefnet.com, said Jesus would be most upset with the selfishness of Americans and the country's willingness to go to war "when it's not necessary."

"I think that Jesus would be disappointed in our ignoring the plight of those around us who are suffering and our focus on our own selfish short-term needs," Edwards told the site. "I think he would be appalled, actually."
Edwards sounds like some of those right-wing Christians that liberals so often complain about.

Although I haven't researched John Edward's charitable activities and donations, I have a hard time with a millionaire lawyer, who is built himself a 28,000 square foot estate telling us we're too selfish. I have a hard time with anyone claiming Jesus would be "appalled" with us. Edwards may well have crossed the line of "Judge not, lest ye be judged." (Matt 7:1) which I take as judging a person's worthiness in the eyes of God.

It is a grave mistake to claim to know how Jesus or God would judge us. It reminds me of the line I've heard so many adults say to children, "Jesus doesn't like little boys/girls that ...." No wonder so many people reject Christianity as adults. Jesus loves us all. Sure, he wants us to live up to certain standards, but He loves us all.

I'm no theologian and I'm sure innumerable people possess greater knowledge on this subject than I. But, I don't believe the subject needs in-depth analysis or great knowledge. It's really quite simple. And, although I'm a Christian, a politician who invokes Jesus as part of his/her presidential campaign most likely has lost my vote.

Comments:
as my esteemed mother would say, whats that got to do with the price of fish.

call me a cynic, but i think edwards is trying to get the religious vote, it doesnt matter about his personal faith, but he saw how these religious voters, managed to get uber religious leaders in power.
 
mercurior - I agree. I would rather have a non-Christian as president who truly believes in and suppports the U.S. Bill of Rights and a Christian who didn't. And, I find statements as to how Jesus, or any other diety, would feel about people particularly offensive (for lack of a better word).
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]