Monday, March 12, 2007

 

The 300 and Aesop

Last Saturday night, I went with my son to see "300." He had seen it the night before and declared it the best movie ever, claiming it would change the way I look at movies forever. Needless to say, "300" fell far short of replacing "Dr. Zhivago" as the best movie I've ever seen. But the story reminded me of another famous Greek, Aesop.

"300" chronicles the Spartans, lead by King Leonidas, and their heroic stand a the Battle of Thermopylae. Although eventually wiped out, the Greeks and their allies killed an estimated 20,000 Persians. The movie focuses on honor, courage and commitment. Indeed, I wondered during the movie if the film maker was promoting the idea that war is sometimes necessary and honorable. Apparently, I wasn't the only one to have such thoughts.
One of the few war movies I've seen in the past two decades that doesn't include at least some nod in the direction of antiwar sentiment...
(Hat tip to Tom Maguire at Instapundit.)

The movie reminds us that to remain free, we must sometimes fight, kill and be killed. I don't recommend "300" unless you like watching video game scenes and flying, decapitated heads. Find a good book on the subject. Definitely not for younger kids.

Which brings me back to Aesop and The Story of the Dog and The Wolf.

Better to starve free than be a fat slave.

PS. The irony that Aesop, himself, was a slave is not lost on me.

Comments:
that quote from aesop is similar to one in the uk.

its better to be a tiger than a worm, (but someone put, has anyone seen a worm skin rug).

some war is necessary, 2nd world war, even iraq but not for the reasons they said, if they had said they were getting rid of a dictator, i have no problems in that, but.. it was wmd,etc.. which was a lie.

but i do think that certain western powers (UK included), are too war happy, afghanistan get rid of the taliban, they are still there and making inroads, yet that war is not mentioned, iraq, same thing, now the west may go to war with iran.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]