Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 

Predator Anxiety

Ever so often I visit LissaKay. During my visit today, I came across her post in which she describes a male teacher having inappropriate physical contact with her daughter when she was 11 years old.
Now, to compare ... my daughter, at age 11, was pushed up against a desk by her teacher as he leaned closely toward her. He swatted her on the butt, and made obvious learing glances at her well-developed chest. When she reported this activity, she was treated as if she were making it all up. It was her word against his. He of course denied it. The school officials gave him a month off with pay. She was left to feel cheap, used and abused. She later had to transfer out of his class because, after he returned, he made her life hell.
Now, guess what, five years later he's under scrutiny again.

THEN, when reading the WBIR account of the teacher, I saw an article about a Knoxville business man pleading guilty to raping a high school student while she was visiting his own daughter. I had met this guy many years ago, very upper class.

Moving on, I checked the website of the local newspaper where I now live. Oh my God! A teacher in the next county is busted in an Internet predator sting. Is any place safe?

Having four children, I worry about the many dangers lurking in a child's world. My oldest is an adult with children of her own. My two boys are bigger and stronger than the average adult male.

But my 10 year old daughter is a developing 5' 3" long legged beauty. I warn and instruct her often regarding the dangers facing her. Considering what she tells me about her life now, I feel fairly confident she would tell me of any transgressions.

All I can say is if someone harms my daughter or any to the other kids, including the adult, they better hope the police get to them before I do.

Comments:
I don't know if this will help or not and don't want to add fuel to emotion, but type in the zip-code;
http://mapsexoffenders.com/
Bear in mind some don't register.
 
Thanks, neat site. First one I've seen that mapped that well. I checked out sexual offenders before I bought my house 1 1/2 years ago.

Once my daughter wanted to with a friend to the friend's grandmother's house in another town. I checked the registry and found 3 offenders within in 2 blocks plus is was a rough area near the interstate. I had to tell her "No."

In this area I'd rather be too cautious than too careless.
 
Not having kids I'm relieved of some of those scary thoughts a person doesn't want to think about too much, or get pushed into that corner too often - like on the order of, "How quickly can I access the gun." Good luck watching over them kids!
 
Terrible, terrible things go on in the minds of some people. Though we can try all the mechanisms we can to track such monsters, there will always be some among us who never get reported.

The greatest force against them is vigilance, and all our young women and men knowing how to stand up for themselves in a rough situation.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]