Tuesday, October 31, 2006

 

Pinch Me I'm Dreaming

I've been debating whether or not to write this particular post but I couldn't resist. I hate to brag about my kids and rarely do in conversation. But I'm about to bust. If you don't want to read, please visit on of the blogs on the left hand side of the page.

While I'm always proud of my kids just because they're my kids, sometimes they show me just how lucky I am that they are my kids. I don't consider myself to be a stellar parent. Maybe I'm better than most but that's not necessarily saying much. Mostly I just try to give them enough guidance to keep them steered in the right direction and enable them to develop their talents and abilities.

So far, this school year has been great. My oldest son brought home the best report card he'd had in a year or more. The two youngest made straight A's. For my daughter, this was not a surprise but still wonderful. For my son in the 8th grade it marked a greater success as he was put into the Gifted and Intellectual program this year. Despite that the curriculum is more difficult, his grades went up.

In sports, my 13 year old son also had a landmark year. He began playing football in the fourth grade. During the first half of the season he played a variety of positions: offensive tackle (both sides), defensive tackle (also both sides), center, and eventually linebacker. He had always wanted to play linebacker and this was his first opportunity ever and he made the most of it. As middle linebacker, he made it virtually impossible for opponents to run up the middle. The coaches believe he has what it takes to play in college. Being 6 feet and 200 pounds at age 13, he certainly should have the size.

He was also Student of the Month for September and has been invited to participate in the Tri-State Honor band (Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana). Guess he's a renaissance boy.

My other son is in his last year of high school. He began basketball practice last week. Although he is only 6'1" he can dunk with two hands. (Incredible vertical leap) He should be a blast to watch. I'm hoping for a great year for him.

My 10 year old daughter's school has an intramural girls basketball league from which the best players advance to the school sponsored 5th grade AAU team. Last Saturday, my daughter played in the last intramural game. She plays well at both ends of the court but is a exceptional at shot blocking and rebounding. After the game, the parents of local hero and University of Tennessee All-American Chris Lofton sought out my daughter, shook her hand, told her she was a good player and to keep it up. Naturally, my daughter beamed with delight.

One of the advantages of a small town with only one school at each level is that everyone in the town supports you. You don't just represent your school. You represent the entire community. This may seem like a lot of pressure but it's just the opposite. People give you so much support that it's a pleasure.

My daughter tied for the highest score on the qualifying test for the academic team. She also is an academic team captain. The girl with whom she tied for the high score is her cousin. They are good friends. Their gimmick is that they are "best buds" and cousins, so they are "bousins."

Being a parent isn't always this wonderful. Of course there are many trying times. But times like this more than compensate for the trying times.

I simply hope and pray that the dream continues.

Comments:
Congratulations.

After hanging out with my cousins and the families they hang out with (especially at Halloween) you can see how much a difference it makes to have parents proud and supportive of what their kids are doing.

By the way...let your son know that Georgia apparently needs some linebackers...heh.
 
I would be proud for my son to play at Georgia, but, God forbid, not Florida.
 
Never pass up a chance to brag about your kids!! Especially today, with all the 'adults' out there who should have "Do Not Procreate With Me" on their foreheads!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]