Thursday, September 21, 2006

 

The Cry Baby Boomers

Yesterday R. Neal at in a post titled "The Greatest Generation Speaks," wrote:
I was talking to my Dad the other day. He said that this was the most divided he has ever seen our country.
Tom Brokaw designated the WWII generation the "Greatest Generation." I don't agree. For our country, how can you top the generation of the Revolutionary War? Besides, the "Greatest Generation" raised my generation and I'm not so sure they did such a good job. But this is off the topic of my discussion.

How divided are we? During the Nixon administration the division in our country grew. Nixon had his "Silent Majority" and used this mythical beast to battle liberals and opponents of the Vietnam War. Make no mistake, Nixon was a crook which led to his need to resign. The country seemed to come back together again afterwards.

Much of Clinton and Gore's rhetoric during their first campaign seemed divisive. "It's the economy, stupid!" I had voted for Michael Dukakis against the elder Bush. But the tone of Clinton and Gore bothered me to the degree that I voted for the Libertarian Party presidential candidate.

During the Clinton years the chasms increased. The growing division seemed to swell from the battling between Republicans and Democrats, conservatives and liberals. To try and lay blame as to the origins would be a futile task. But the rhetoric grew increasingly heated in a tit for tat manner similar to an argument between a married couple.

However, one of the results was that I, who had voted for Al Gore, Sr. for Senator, George McGovern for President, Al Gore, Jr. for Senator, and Michael Dukakis for President, felt so disgusted with the Democratic, liberal side of the arguing that I voted for George W. Bush both times and have never looked back.

I quit giving support to those who refer to me with an array of derogatory terms because I don't agree with their position on abortion, gay marriage, health care, welfare, crime and punishment, illegal immigration, or whatever. I remember a time when civil discourse occurred between disagreeing parties. Some how this happens much less often than before.

Maybe this is the fault of "The Greatest Generation." They raised my generation to be spoiled brats that screamed, yelled, called names and otherwise tossed fits, not caring what harm we may do, when we don't get our way. We, the Cry Baby Boomers, have yet to grow up.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]