Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

A New Quote

The quote on my header is new today.
We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Usually, this quote and others like it are interpreted in the environmental sense. Obviously, protection of the Earth's environment and conservation of its resources are part of the quote's meaning.

Another meaning can be derived from looking at the quote from a cultural/social perspective. What parts of our culture and society are we leaving for our children and what parts are we denying them? During my lifetime of 55 years, so far, many things have been lost and many gained.

The technological gains are obvious. My children listen with bewilderment when I describe life without personal computers, calculators, color TV's, CD's, microwave ovens, video games, ad nauseum. They wonder how I managed to enjoy myself. I did just fine, thank you.

I also remember buying premium gas for 14 cents a gallon. We could ride my friends Honda 90 motorcycle all day for a quarter. Energy was cheap, plentiful and often dirty. In the winter, coal soot would fall on my shirt and leave little black spots.

Health care, communications, etc., etc. have improved tremendously. But what have our children lost?

Today's world is much more crowded. My hometown/county has more than doubled in size since I graduated from high school. Roads I used to bicycle down are now too dangerous due to heavy traffic. Subdivisions and shopping centers occupy spots where we used to go to get away from it all or neck a little bit.

Condos spoil what used to be pastures along the lake. Traffic jams in the Smoky Mountains make visits resemble rush hour more than a visit to a virgin forest. City parks often suffer from over crowding or criminal activity.

Children in our society today face constant sexual messages on TV, radio, music, movies, etc. My children knew things about sex by age 10 that I didn't know till late high school or even college. No wonder teenage pregnancy and spread of STD's is a great problem.

Hopefully we will preserve for our children, and their children, that which is best in our society and culture. Preserve and protect nature, yes, but, just as importantly, preserve and protect the "traditional" values that make our culture great. Individual rights, freedom, opportunity, hard work, religion, family, the ability to walk down the street safely, innocence, and, of course, apple pie, need to be preserved also. We have no right to steal them from our children.

Comments:
That's one hell of an observation. I know a lot of folks who feel the same way, like we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to tradition.
 
i am 20 years younger than you dadvocate, and i have found the world is moving too fast, everything has to be done yesterday, no one just stops a admires the view, we have technological advances yes, but no social/spiritual advances. we can do so many things, but should we, when they can be used for abuse.

i sometimes stop, and look at the flowers and birds, it makes me appreciate life,
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]