Tuesday, July 04, 2006

 

A Lesson in Faith

One of the rewards of parenthood lies in the lessons we learn from our children. At the age of 5 my son taught me the greatest lesson in faith I've ever had.

Driving along the East Prong of the Little River in the Great Smoky Mountains with my three youngest children, we decided to stop at Meigs Falls and make the short walk back to the falls. In order to reach the falls we had to "rock hop" across Little River.

Being late summer, the water was low and the tops of many rocks protruded above the water making the traverse and easy one for my 9 year old son. My 2 year old daughter slept on my shoulder as I held her in my left arm. My 5 year old son grasped on to my right hand as we began to step from stone to stone.

Reaching the middle of the creek, a small channel of swift, deeper water ran between two rocks that required a long step. At 6' 3" the step was easily within my stride but was well beyond that of my son. He hesitated with obvious anxiety.

"Daddy," he ask, "if I fall into the fast water will you come in and get me?"

"Yes, I will"

"Daddy," he asked again, "if I fall into the deep water will you come in and get me?"

"Yes," I replied.

"Daddy," he asked, not quite satisfied, "if I fall into the deep, fast water will you come in and get me?"

"Yes, Alex, I'll come in and get you."

At that all anxiety drained from Alex. He smiled and said, "OK, I'm ready." I made the long stride while he jumped. We made the next rock without difficulty and enjoyed the short walk to the waterfall.

What struck me about this experience was Alex's complete faith in me. Once he was assured, his faith was complete and devoid of doubt. Whenever I feel doubt and my faith is tested, I remember the lesson my son taught me.

BTW - My daughter slept on my shoulder through the entire episode.

Comments:
That is a really good example of what faith is.
 
DADvocate, how can I tell you thanks for that amazing display of faith shared other than to say Thanks! What an amzaing story. I'm the better for having read it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]