Thursday, May 18, 2006

 

Linguistic Profile

I saw this at Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde (which she isn't). Just a cute little test but it pegged me pretty well although I can't decide where the upper Midwest came from. Maybe my parents, my mother originally hailed from St. Lewis and my father from Ohio. But I was born and raised in Tennessee. It was quite a relief that I was 0% Yankee.

Although I now live in Southern Ohio, my accent and idiomatic use of the language quickly betrays my Southern roots. "Ya'll" easily rolls off my tongue. Indeed, finding a replacement term poses a great challenge to me. I call any carbonated soft drink a "Coke." It's not unusual for my to ask visitors if they'd like a "Coke." A "yes" response is followed by, "What kind would you like, Pepsi or Sprite?"

I would have thought I'd have a little Midwestern as that's where I presently live. But, no, the South rises again.

Your Linguistic Profile:
50% General American English
35% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern
0% Yankee
What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]