Wednesday, April 26, 2006

 

World Citizen's Guide

The World citizen's Guide created by Business for Diplomatic Action gives 16 tips on how to be a good visitor to another country. I couldn't find the entire list of 16. The pdf file I found was not exactly as described in the newspaper article linked to above. But that is not my interest at the moment, the suggestions are well suited for all social settings, such as family gatherings, as well as international travels.

My favorites:
The last two are especially meaningful to me. Certain members of my family have tremendous difficulty conversing for more than 5 minutes without making political comments which often include lessons or a lecturing remark. In his blog, the husband of my sister who made the sexism remarks responded angrily when I used this quote Kahlil Gibran - "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children." He then lectured me on lecturing him.

Oh, well. I was upset that he had referred to people with my beliefs as "Nazi fascists." This was early on in my discovery of blogging. I've since learned to not let such things bother me. But it's interesting to see what lurks in the mind of a nice guy. "Who knows what evil lurks?" - The Shadow

Oh, and that brings up another guideline: OK, then.

Comments:
but it should be pro choice. rather than the emotive pro life.

if someone beleives in something, thats their right, but just because i beleive in something different, doesnt mean i am wrong and have to be "saved". in my case i dont think i would be a good father, and my fiance would be a bad mother. so why should we have kids who we arent emotionally connected too (this is 99.9% of all kids).. so long as they dont force their beliefs onto me then i dont care.

but thats the problem their are people who think they know it all they know its best.

voltaire said it best, I may disagree with what you say but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it.

so long as they give me the sanme options but they dont. not usually
 
mercurior - I agree with your points. I don't mind civil discussions on any topic ususally although I prefer avoid them during family, social and work related gatherings. I don't protest in front of Planned Parenthood.

Largely I just pass my values on to my children. I don't call someone who's had an abortion or the doctor who performed it a murderer and I don't take kindly to being called a "Nazi fascist" for disagreeing with the Pro-Choice position.
 
everyone has to make their own decisions, and how they live their lives. i cant tell you that you are wrong in how you do things, i dont have the right to say it , as i am not you. each one of us should follow our our minds, rather than whats popular. would make a lot of things easier.

i know, i wouldnt say that to anyone, its your choice, and its mine that kids are for us. if we can all realise we each are different then the would would be a happier place.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]