Thursday, March 23, 2006

 

IRS Plans to Let Tax Preparers Sell Your Tax Info

On the way to work this morning, I heard Congressman Steve Chabot (R-OH) describing the IRS's plan to allow tax preparers to sell your tax info. According to Mr. Chabot this data would include your Social Security number. Mr. Chabot asked for the public's help is stopping this action.

Obviously, there are lots of privacy issues here. I wonder if it will hurt the tax preparation business. I prepare my taxes myself using TurboTax or the HRBlock software (which I don't recommend). I certainly would be more hesitant to use a tax preparer if they were able to sell my info.

Additionally, it appears that, while the government constantly warns us of the dangers of identity theft, it plans to provide another source for identity thieves. Of course, it's been a long time since the government really cared about our privacy.

Contact your Congressman or Congresswoman regarding this issue. I already have.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]