Thursday, February 09, 2006

 

The Lunacy Continues in England

Hot Cross buns have outlawed in schools in Britain for Easter. Although I was raised Catholic, I never realized Hot Cross buns had a religious connotation.
Some councils are refusing to hand out the traditional treats because they fear that the symbol of the cross will spark complaints from Jewish, Hindu and Muslim pupils or their families.
I willing to be the real reason was the last group. One of the affects of such actions is that it may well actually increase the friction between religious groups. Tolerance is a two-way street.

As a child my parents exposed myself and my siblings to various cultures. We went to Expo 67 in Montreal. Visiting the pavilions and exhibits from all over the world was a tremendous thrill.

I have Jewish and Hindu friends. None have ever complained of Christian symbols being present in everyday life. Maybe they're much more sensitive in Britain. I've gone to Jewish houses for Passover Dinner. I've read the Bhagavad Gita. I value these experiences as they give me a glimpse into other worlds and enrich my life.

A couple I know are Hindu husband/Catholic wife with four children. They practice vegetarianism at home but the kids attend a Catholic school and church. They are one of the happiest, nicest couples I know. It can be done.

The definition of tolerance that Britain is practicing isn't tolerance at all. It is intolerance of one side against the other. Eventually this leads to intolerance of all sides in order to be "fair."

To truly avoid offence all religious structures need to be hidden from the public eye, high walls, tall trees, smoke screens, whatever it takes. All churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, etc. must be hidden from sight or have no religious inscriptions, emblems, etc. on the outside. Architecture must not connote religion or spirituality. Can you imagine the world without the Taj Mahal or the Cathedral of Notre Dame? At the current pace you won't have to use your imagination.

UPDATE: On a lighter note, what do you get when you pour boiling water down a rabbit hole? Hot, cross bunnies.

JWWells pointed out this excellent analysis of guilt (Western) vs. shame (Islamic) cultures and the disconnect that allows many Muslims to be outrages by cartoons while seeing no problem with their own actions.

Comments:
hot cross buns are the ultimate evil in this country.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]