Friday, December 16, 2005

 

Sugar and Candy Industry Problems

When I wrote my post on rising sugar prices, I wrote it mostly in jest of the hysterics regarding the price of oil and gasoline. While my statements were supported with references, most people don't worry too much about sugar prices. The increase in gas prices cost me about $20 a week more for fuel. The increase in sugar prices probably cost me 50 cents to a dollar a week.

But, via Instapundit, I came across article on how government sugar subsidies, paired with rising prices is hurting the candy industry and threatening American jobs. Due to the law of unintended consequences, the short term government support of the sugar industry may very well hurt it in the long run, as well as, cause candy makers to move out of the country in order to remain competitive.

Interesting.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]