Sunday, November 06, 2005
The Minds of Boys
Some of the points made:
- 80% of high school dropouts are boys.
- Up to 70% of all D's and F's are made by boys.
- 80% to 90% of all discipline problems are boys
- 70% to 75% of children diagnosed with learning disabilities are boys
- More that 80% of children on Ritalin or similar medications are boys.
At the heart of Gurian's theory: Boys learn differently than girls learn because boys' brains are wired differently. Culling research from the emerging study of "gender science," Gurian believes that conventional approaches to education are often mismatched to boys' brains and learning styles. And these differences aren't just educational curiosities, Gurian argues; they are the source of a crisis in boys' academic performance.The article is a quick, easy, but informative read.
Michael Gurian has written many books concerning boys and other child, family and social issues.
This is a great article you found--I like the way Gurian acknowledges aggression in boys without pathologizing it. His educational plan looks good, pariticularly if boys are getting more activity in the classroom without getting into trouble.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
Links to this post:
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]