Sunday, October 02, 2005
Here are some sobering statistics that strongly support Jacob's observations:
Compared to children in male-headed traditional families where their
natural parents are married to each other, children living in
female-headed single-parent, lesbian or other environments where they are
deprived of their natural fathers are:
1. Eight times more likely to go to prison.
2. Five times more likely to commit suicide.
3. Twenty times more likely to have behavioral problems.
4. Twenty times more likely to become rapists.
5. 32 times more likely to run away.
6. Ten times more likely to abuse chemical substances.
7. Nine times more likely to drop out of high school.
8. 33 times more likely to be seriously abused.
9. 73 times more likely to be fatally abused.
10. One-tenth as likely to get A's in school.
11. On average have a 44% higher mortality rate.
12. On average have a 72% lower standard of living.
Source: "The Garbage Generation" by Daniel Amneus Ph.D.
A characteristic of social statistics is that they can change over time. This is especially true if actions are taken to rectify destructive trends. Judging from the college enrollment and graduation statistics, we still have a way to go.
Here are some more sites that address the problems of fatherlessness.
Montana State University
Myths and Facts About Fatherlessness
Fathers for Life
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]